Thursday, August 10

Hello from Poipet. I see that the blogs haven't been posting much. Well that's because it's hard to get on the internet. We haven't been able to go to the internet cafe's as much, and it's been painfully slow when we do go. So only the basic e-mail updates have been going out, cause that's all the time we've had to write.

Anyways, I've been working on computer stuff the last 2 days. And after working on these computers these last 2 days, I've come to realize how much I've taken for granted my nice computers and nice internet connections I have at home. I've been trying to install an external USB cdrom on a Windows 98 machine for the past 2 days, and I haven't been successful. It's been extremely frustrating. Not just because it should just work, but because it's so slow trying to test things out.

I've been on dial-up for much of the day. I always complained about my DSL at home which I only get about 850 kilobits a second. Now I'm on dial-up and I get about 8 kilobits a second. It took 11 minutes to download a 828 kB file. That would take me about 7 seconds at home. What's most frustrating is that it took me 4 times to try to download this file. That's cause the phone lines here in Poipet aren't that great and I get disconnected all the time.

Am I ready to live out overseas? Where I'll be using machines like this and internet connections as slow as this if I have access at all? I'm not ready yet. I've got a few more years for God to make me adjust. I may never get used to this.

I wonder how I'll adjust... a up to date techie like me living in a developing country with very little new technology for most of my life. I guess we'll find out in a few years hopefully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home